Like the characters of the Winnie-the-Pooh stories, I do love a useful pot (bag or other container) to put things in.
If you are unfamiliar with the story about Eeyore’s birthday and useful pots to put things in, here is an snippet.
In the last few weeks, I made:
- three tote bags
- two divided baskets
- one lined basket.
Yes, I love storage!
The three tote bags used the basic bag pattern from Nicole Mallalieu’s The Better Bag Maker. After making my first tote bag from her pattern, I had grand plans to make some of the fancier bags explained in her book, but it is not easy to buy appropriate hardware here. I know I can order it online, but that would involve choosing what to make with lots of advance thought and planning, rather than opening up my cupboard, pulling out some fabric and starting to cut out a bag. To make these three bags, I only had to go to the shops to buy the three zippers and lining fabric for one bag.
For the hidden internal base of the purple bag, I was able to repurpose some stiff Pellon that had a dog novelty print fused to it. Long ago, I thought to make a bag for the dog park. No one can see the ugly fabric, and the Pellon did not go to waste.
With the same pattern, I also made two tote bags using Jodie Carleton’s ‘Sewing School’ print that features knitting needles. The two bags look the same, apart from the lining fabric, so I only photographed the outside of one.
For my mum’s birthday in September, I made two divided baskets using Noodlehead’s divided basket pattern. I made a similar basket for her in 2014, and she has occasionally mentioned that she would like more to organise her wardrobe.
I tried to choose fabrics from my stash that would coordinate with the one she already has, but most of the fabrics had been used up. Thankfully, I still had some of the Philip Jacobs print.
For these baskets, all I had to buy was some interfacing. This time, I used a combination of interfacing and lightweight fusible fleece as recommended in the pattern. I probably could have omitted interfacing from the handles, given that I used denim and not quilting cotton; they are perhaps a bit too stiff.
My last storage project was to line a wicker basket that I bought at an op shop (thrift shop). I started this on a whim. I have had the basket for a few years, but last weekend I decided that it needed lining. I chose the fabric from my stash after lunch, and I had it lined and finished before bedtime. It is a rare and lovely feeling to have a small project completed in a day.
Everything for the basket lining, including the ribbon, was in my cupboard.
The recent spring weather has inspired me to tidy my sewing room cupboards, and I am feeling more inclined to sew. My eyes’ susceptibility to strain and the winter weather have made knitting more attractive than fine hand sewing recently, but my sewing room is a lovely place to be on a warm, sunny day. In a few weeks, the jacaranda trees will be in bloom outside the window.