Earlier this year, I made a case for my crochet hooks, but I forgot to tell you about it. So, here it is!
It has pockets for all of my hooks and a flap to stop them sliding out. The zipper pocket is for a pair of scissors, some needles for weaving in the ends and the ball band for later reference. I bound the outside as one would bind a quilt, and a piece of ribbon holds it all together.
Last night, I dug out a hook and started trying to make poppies for the 5000 Poppies project, which is now a project to make 60,000 poppies to commemorate the centenary since the end of the First World War.
I bought the yarn from the Bendigo Woollen Mills. I thought Australian yarn was appropriate, and their yarn is pure wool and good quality but not expensive. The poppies will be outside and will face all types of weather (especially in Canberra), but I did not want to buy a cheap acrylic that I would never want to use again. I know I will be able to use the leftovers from these balls.
I do not plan to make a gazillion poppies, but I do hope to try different patterns and make a few of each pattern that I try. My first poppies were made using Ing’s Ribbed Crochet Poppy pattern, and I was considerably helped by Allison’s YouTube tutorial.
The first is not quite right while I was getting the hang of where to put the hook for the front post treble stitch, but that will not matter in a sea of so many.
I think that this will be a good lunchtime project to take to work.
If you know of any other good poppy patterns I should try (preferably crocheted or knitted in the round), please let me know.
Check out their website for more information about the 5000 Poppies project.