Her name was Lola. She was
a showgirl an orphan block.
I foolishly did not check my printer settings when I drew an English paper piecing block on my computer, and I printed it too small. I did not notice until after I had sewed the block and was about to join it to others. Then, the problem became far too obvious. I had to remake the block from scratch. But what to do with the cast-off block?
Make a Lola pouch!
Once again, I used Svetlana’s Lola pattern. I followed the pattern for the large size, but I made the top panel a bit deeper to allow for the 5¾-inch block*. I used a heavier fusible fleece than I did for my earlier Lola pouches, and I prefer the extra rigidity of this, which is Vilene H640. My memory is hazy, but I think I used non-fusible quilt wadding scraps before and machine quilted it in place. This pouch stands up on its own, while the others droop. Not that drooping is necessarily a bad thing for pouches.
While I was buying the zipper, I spotted some tiny pompom trim. I had to add a bit of that.
I used one of my favourite fat quarters to make the binding and the base. It seemed a bit of a waste to have that lovely fabric mostly on the bottom where it cannot be seen, but I had to do it: the colours were just right. Inside is another treasured piece of fabric: Art Gallery’s squared elements.
The colours are bright and tropical enough that perhaps it could be from Copacabana, like Lola!
*The block should have been a full 6 inches square if I had paid attention when printing.