When making my Dear Jane blocks, I ended up with lots of tiny scraps, but I never threw them away as nothing is too small to use in a Dear Jane quilt.
Almost two years ago, when my Dear Jane blocks were just about finished, I started turning the scraps into ½-inch hexagons, intending to make a bag. If a scrap was too small to make a tiny hexagon, I threw it in the bin. We have to draw a line somewhere, right?
And now that bag is finished!
While my dad was ill, these little hexagons became my travel project, and I sewed many of them while sitting in oncologists’ and radiologists’ waiting rooms with Dad. After Dad died, I put them away for a while.
In June, I needed something to take along to my Thursday-night craft sessions at the nursing home where my grandmother now lives. I volunteered to start an evening craft group as the staff were seeking help organising activities after dinner.
On the first evening, I took these little hexies and my knitting. I had planned to knit, but I soon realised that I had lost track of where I was up to and needed to quietly count stitches and do some thinking to work it out. So, I started to sew the hexies. Each week, I have taken them along and added a few more. This week, I will show the group my finished bag! Hurrah!
Hanging out with the ladies (and gents) at the nursing home has been great fun. We laugh a lot, and I am learning a lot about life in Australia almost a century ago. A few of the residents do not have long to wait before they can receive their celebratory 100th birthday telegram from the Queen. In most cases, I am less than half their age, but I am having a ball spending time with them. Our projects do not progress very quickly as we chat, but I always drive home in a good mood.
The finished bag now has a mixture of sad memories and happy memories associated with it.
I was inspired to make the bag by Susan’s similar French General hexagon bag. I used a purse frame, handle and pattern bought from Studio Mio. I varied the pattern slightly by making the outside of the bag as one large panel. My bag is also about half an inch deeper than the pattern, and I did not stiffen it with vinyl, instead using interfacing and fusible fleece. The last step was sewing the frame in, and I used some of my Aurifil 12 weight for that.
Now that this is finished, I suppose I ought to have a proper look at my knitting and figure out where I was up to.
Or I could procrastinate and make a pincushion with the leftover hexies instead.