After making so many bee blocks for others and so few quilts for myself last year, I have set myself the goal of making at least three quilt blocks for myself every month this year in what I am calling my Bee, Myself and I sewing bee. I had a bit of a slow start to January, as I had to decide what I was making, draw templates and patterns, and choose fabrics from my stash, but my blocks are sewn.
I knew I wanted to make a flowering snowball quilt. I have been admiring Mary’s on her Molly Flanders blog since I first saw it. I had a chance to make this block for Stash Bee last year and realised that although it is easy to sew, the curved pieces do need cutting out by hand. For that reason, it is one of my chosen selfish bee blocks – I can cut them out slowly each month.
After upending my entire stash, I came up with this fabric pull. It is based on the 1930s prints I have, with other small-scale prints in red, blue and yellow. I will use an assortment of white fabrics to avoid fretting about having enough of any one fabric. I considered using pale prints for the background too, but I chose to stick to white. I was worried that prints in the background might be too busy on top of the small-scale coloured prints.
As I was cutting out white pieces for the flowering snowball blocks, I realised that I still had a pile of scraps in white and pale prints, many too small to use in the flowering snowball blocks. What to do with them? I know! Start another project! On my Pinterest boards I had pinned American Patchwork & Quilting’s ‘Tone it down’ pattern. There was a quilt-along a year or so ago. That pattern looked like a great way to use up small scraps as the smallest pieces are only 1½ inches square.
I am not entirely confident about the grey, but let’s give it a go and see how it turns out. If you are not Australian and have no idea what a galah is, it is a common but very pretty pink and grey parrot. The word galah is also used colloquially to mean a bit of a fool. I must be as mad as a gumtree full of galahs to be taking on two bees!
I sewed these blocks from just a sketch, but if you would like the pattern, you can buy it from American Patchwork & Quilting’s shop. As I was tidying up my sewing area yesterday and putting magazine clippings into files, I found that I also had a red and white version of this pattern I had torn from Australian Patchwork and Quilting, volume 21, number 1.
I have reached and exceeded my target of three blocks for January! Hurrah! Anyone is welcome to join in and set their own selfish sewing bee goals. The details and a button are here.
Already Carla and Diana are sewing along and making things just for themselves. Diana is focusing her time on small projects for herself, and Carla made herself a cushion (and her hubby made giant knitting needles, which have to be seen to be believed).