It is finished! Hurrah! I actually finished this quilt top a while ago, but I keep forgetting to take it outside in the sunshine to photograph it. As it is, these photos were taken inside, near a sunny window, as everything outside is damp from the sprinklers.
I quilted it in October, with the design input of Diana. Left to myself, I would have quilted a simple all-over design, but I asked Diana for advice and she suggested spirals. I thought they might be a bit trickier than my skills allowed, but there is no point in asking for advice if you have no intention of following the suggestions given, so I did my best. It is good to challenge oneself to try something a bit more interesting.
I made myself a template for the spirals. I thought about free-motion quilting them, but in the end I chose to use my walking foot and go slowly as I did not trust myself to sew the outside circle without a bit more control. Once I had the straight lines sewn and holding everything mostly in place, I sewed all of the spirals from the outside working in.
The spirals are not perfect, and a busier backing fabric would have helped conceal this, but the pink backing fabric was the starting point for this baby quilt.
The batting I used is Quilters Dream Request weight, the lightest cotton. It is the leftover piece from my Dear Jane quilt. I have already washed the quilt to be sure my quilt markings are permanently gone, and I like the way the batting has scrunched up a bit. The scrunching has meant that the quilt finishes at 34 × 38½ inches.
It will live in my cupboard until someone has a baby girl.
No, Lucy, this quilt is not for you!