I knew I had made and given away a lot of bee blocks this year, but I had not counted. Let’s gather them all together in one place and try to see exactly how many there were.
Elgar’s block was for a birthday surprise.
I used some Bonnie and Camille but other fabrics too to achieve the scrappy, bright look I think Shari is aiming for.
She encouraged us to mix up the lights and darks in the centre.
No contrast problems with red!
We were asked to embroider our names on our blocks. No hiding from bad workmanship!
The original pattern in Gail’s bag was in an issue of Australian Patchwork and Quilting, but I found it easier to sew it by drawing myself foundation paper templates.
I made a bone from Kumiko Fujita’s book for Sheila.
A wildly wonky star for Kate
I raided my bright scraps for this block.
Some angel blocks
This block is one I have long wanted to try.
My book says this is called a morning star, and it is a neat 12-inch finished block.
I made a set of Polaroid blocks for Jennifer in Canada to be made into quilts for her twins.
If it works in teal, why not in red and tan?
I used what few bright strings I had in my scrap box before cutting more strips from my stash.
This could be a star or a cross.
Sewing is easy but cutting the curved pieces by hand takes care.
I am not in Hive 2. I gate crashed!
So simple, and yet so effective!
I think I used Margaret Rolfe’s pattern, enlarged.
For this block, I started with the geometric print and chose fabrics that coordinated.
Grace asked for pineapple blocks in grey, black, nay, teal and yellow.
I started in my scrap box, but I did not have enough bright scraps and had to raid my stash too.
Mary wanted us to identify the species. Clockwise from top left, we have a garden dicky-bird, a technicolour turtledove, a diamond-tipped parrot and a blue-chested desert hen.
Melissa wanted scrappy, light backgrounds and purple points.
Yellow can sometimes lack contrast against a background fabric, so I used my darkest yellows and my lightest backgrounds.
This way of making hunter’s star blocks with half-square triangles looks daunting at first, but comes together surprisingly well.
I love the cheerful aqua of this block for Helen.
Chelsea asked for colours that included teal, peach and navy.
Christina liked the Japanese print, so I included it.
We were asked to make red and gold blocks.
I found the pattern for this block in an old issue of Australian Patchwork and Quilting, volume 22, number 7. It is ‘Kyoto’ by Neil Chisholm.
Grey and Teal were Diana’s chosen colours.
Yvonne asked for large letter blocks.
Denise asked for 14-inch bear paw blocks in a bright colour with soft grey and white backgrounds.
Once again, I rummaged through my scrap basket. All these bee blocks are keeping my scraps well tamed.
I tried to include a mix of warm and cool brights.
I call this Tricia’s fifty shades of grey quilt!