When I started to think about arrows, I realised I could add more arrows, a bullseye, a cupid’s heart (which would probably make both Jo and me gag) or a William Tell apple with an arrow through it. The bullseye seemed to appeal to me the most, so I followed that idea, keeping the others in reserve as back-up plans.
Serena had supplied me with tea and biscuits for thinking, and there was enough to fuel my brain even if my husband stole some of the Tim Tams.
Serena had desperately tried to square off Jo’s block to satisfy her engineering need for balance. The contrary side of my nature could not resist taking it back to a rectangle again. (Sorry, Serena!) My trigger point was headless arrows! They needed points!
The one thing I really struggled with for this project was colour choices. The block I had been given was mostly neutral, as the colours were limited to the arrows’ fletching. The project bag contained scraps of the fabric used in the fletching, but few were big enough for the outer rings of the bullseye. Even so, it was a very helpful starting point.
These are not my natural go-to colours, and I used every shade of purple I own. The only reason I own purple fabric is because I know it is handy to have when making bee blocks for other people! That is one of the fun things about bees: I am being forced out of my comfort zone.
The block I made is rather large (23 inches, cut), and I had to do quite a bit of fudging to get the pieces to fit on bits of A4 paper so I could foundation paper piece it. I appliquéd the centre as I pieced the segments together.
This composite block now has very odd dimensions (23 x 50¾ inches). The next person to add to it will be Jane of Where Jane Creates. Trying to consider Jane, before I trimmed and assembled the parts, I contacted her to see if we could somehow agree on proportions. It is always easier to add borders, for example, if you are not working with prime numbers and fractions. Jane, however, was happy to have whatever came. As she noted, it is easy to add sashing to build it up to a manageable size. There is also quite a bit of background that can be trimmed if needed.
Now, I wait excitedly to see what Jane does next!
I am already on tenterhooks waiting to see what Rebecca of One Wee Bird adds to my centre. What I have glimpsed so far looks lovely. In a month or so, I also get to add to Sharon’s centre. That should be fun. I think the whole group has already decided that the challenge will be to see how many different fabrics we can add to her happy scrappy Dresden centre. I think people are counting.