Today I said goodbye to my two scrappy humidicrib quilts, and I also bade farewell to a lap quilt I had been making to donate. It was a good thing I had marked them for donation before I even started sewing as I might have been tempted to keep them otherwise.
The third quilt I donated today was a group effort. A few weeks ago my sewing group had a sewing bee specifically to make quilts to donate to charity. We gathered at one member’s house and split into teams of cutters, sewers, ironers, etc. We then spent a solid day sewing. In one day, we almost completed five lap-sized quilt tops, which some of us then took home to finish.
Many of us took fabric from our own stashes, and over the years we have also built up a group stash for such projects. Our parent group, the PWP, to which everyone in my sewing group belongs, occasionally provides funds to allow us to buy backing fabric and quilt wadding for quilts to be donated to charity, in addition to what we each contribute individually.
At the start of the sewing-bee day, we spread the fabric out and chose bits and pieces to include in each quilt top. Having strewn fabric scraps from one end of the living room to another, we made a real mess of our friend’s house!
This is the quilt top I was sewing on the day. I chose the fabrics and sat at the sewing machine, but I had a lot of help cutting and ironing (and, on occasion, unpicking), and one friend laid all the blocks out on the floor in their final arrangement. When I brought it home at the end of the day, the quilt top was almost finished; it was in rows that needed to be sewn together.
In the few weeks since, I have pieced a scrappy backing, free-motion quilted it in a swirly, loopy design (about all I am capable of, if the truth be known) and bound it. Today it starts on its journey to a new home, care of the West Australian Quilters.
You can see a photo of all the quilts our group made to donate on the West Australian Quilters’ blog.